"Civilizations in decline are consistently characterised by a tendency towards standardization and uniformity."
- Arnold Toynbee
"I think we risk becoming the best informed society that has ever died of ignorance."
- Rubén Blades, in "Not everyone enthusiastic about the future of TV" (1993)
"Don't worry about people stealing an idea. If it's original, you will have to ram it down their throats."
- Howard H. Aiken in "Portraits in Silicon" (1987)
"Books won't stay banned. They won't burn. Ideas won't go to jail. In the long run of history, the censor and the inquisitor have always lost. The only sure weapon against bad ideas is better ideas."
- Alfred Whitney Griswold, in "Essays on Education" (1959)
"The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread."
- Anatole France in "Le Lys Rouge" (1894)
"The mind is not a vessel to be filled, but a fire to be kindled."
- Plutarch in "On Listening to Lectures"
"The art of being wise is the art of knowing what to overlook."
- William James, in "Principles of Psychology" (1890)